Venice Carnival – Costumes, creativity and cameras

Walking around Venice at the height of carnival is a little surreal. Passing my local café I spot the Mad Hatter having a coffee with Beetlejuice. A Renaissance gentleman queues with his groceries in the supermarket. A cat and a lion sit, chatting on the vaporetto waterbus. A tiny café bar near St Marks is full of Vikings. And the streets are thronging with visitors laden down by masks, cameras and cream-filled fritelle (doughnuts)! Meanwhile, St Marks Square itself is brimming with more silk, sequins and living sculptures than I’ve seen in all my life, except possibly at Gay Pride! So, after the fantasy of the opening night and then the Grand Canal water parade, here are just a few of the works of art circulating the city at the moment.

Useful information

Carnevale 2015 in Venice runs from Saturday 31st January to Tuesday 17th February 2015. (Dates will differ from year to year depending on when Lent and Easter fall so check calendars before you plan travel.)

The official website is: http://www.carnevale.venezia.it/en/events-list/

!!!Carnevale 2016 in Venice runs from Saturday 23rd January to 9th February 2016!!!

Venice Carnival 2015: Program of the main events

Saturday 31st January – 6pm Opening of the Carnival with the first showing of “The Magic Banquet – A Gourmet’s fairytale in Venice” water show along the Rio of Cannaregio with an encore at 8pm

Sunday 1st February – 11am Boat procession along the Grand Canal from Punta della Dogana to the Rio di Cannaregio. Organised by the Associazioni Remiere di Voga alla Veneta in partnership with Associazione Esercenti Pubblici Esercizi (AEPE) and Coordinamento Associazioni Remiere di Voga alla Veneta.

Sunday 1st February – Piano concert at Punta della Dogana. This guys often performs outside from concert halls in the street for free. For this concert, though, his piano is suspended above water!

Saturday 7th February  – Carnival Parade of Marie, inauguration of the Gran Theatre of St Mark’s Square, inauguration of the parties at the Arsenale

Sunday  8th February – Flight of the Angel

Sunday 15th February – Flight of the Eaglefinal of the Best Mask 2015 competition

Tuesday 17th February – Flight of the Lion, proclamation of the Mary of Carnival 2015.

In addition, the carnival program includes the “Most beautiful mask competition” and touring shows in St Mark’s Square during the day and musical events at the Arsenale every night from Saturday 7th to Tuesday 17th February.

This entry was posted in Festivals, Veneto, Venice and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Venice Carnival – Costumes, creativity and cameras

1. Yvonne says:

Gosh, it’s nearly over for another year!

I’ve cast my vote for your blog, good luck!

• lizbert1 says:

Thank you so much Yvonne, your vote is very much appreciated!! And Venice feels quite a bit quieter now carnival is over although I’m sure it will perk up again in the run up to the Easter holidays! Happy days eh! Thanks for popping by!

2. Sandi says:

Wonderful photos! (and congratulations 🙂 )

3. I can imagine it’s rather surreal yet amazing to be walking around in the company of such lovely costumed folk! Thank you for sharing Carnevale with us! I’ve never seen Venice during this time of year…
    Ps: I have voted for your lovely blog! I’m very excited for you:)

• lizbert1 says:

Thank you so much Lia for your comments and your vote! It was extremely surreal at times and also quite funny spotting Renaissance ladies and gents on the water buses like it was a perfectly normal thing to wander round in full skirts, frilly under-drawers and several petticoats!!! They also had a few problems negotiating the narrow alleyways as their dresses were often too wide!!! Its a unique time and I hope to catch it again sometime!!! Is there a comparable festival in NY or the US??

• ️I really can imagine how amazing the festivities were, thanks to your blog!
        We don’t have any Carnivale festivities in NYC (besides in individual restaurants that may celebrate) but in New Orleans in Louisiana, there is a huge, traditional Mardi Gras celebration… And perhaps other cities too that I’m not sure of!
        Cheers and here’s to the coming spring !

4. Lyn says:

By far the best costumes and masks I have ever seen. I loved them. Your photos are outstanding.

• lizbert1 says:

Thank you so much Lyn and I agree, the costumes were stunning! People must take months to make them just to have a few days fun in Venice – its a labour of love!

5. I agree with all the above….what a fun collection of photos!!!! Thanks…..

• lizbert1 says:

There are literally thousands more photos to see Cecelia! Perhaps one evening when you’re over I’ll do you a slide show so you can relive carnival!!! Bring a bottle and your slippers, it could take a while…….!!!! ;o)

6. K. Renae P. says:

Such amazing pictures. I voted for you, good luck!